Monday, August 8, 2011

Christopher Wilmarth at Betty Cunningham Gallery

Another excellent post by talented art blogger Caleb De Jong, about one of the great underrated modernists.




“’No longer is heavenly distance the preferred escape. The learning self defends.’

What I am trying to say here is that with my work of the past eight years I have tried to make sculptures that evoke a spiritual disembodied state close to that of reverie; the kind of perfection that I found during my ‘revelations’ or ‘epiphanies’. I have avoided in my recent sculpture poetry directly tied to the imperfect, earthly world of flesh and matter. I have the need to be in and of that imperfect world again and make my poems from its stuff…”  - Christopher Wilmarth


Christopher Wilmarth at Betty Cunningham Gallery











No comments:

Post a Comment